Pages

Martes, Oktubre 6, 2015

Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden

"Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden" is a false backronym of the word GOLF which is really derived from an old world meaning "club"

I've been a fan of golf since my early "teen" years. Followed the scene, but not as a hobby since I played the sport for only about a year now, to my regret. I really wish that I picked up the game sooner, as this sport requires a lot of flexibility and dexterity (only old people can relate). It may not look like it but in my opinion, golf is one of the hardest sports in the world. I do agree that if you compare a pro golfers physique to another athlete (lets say a basketball player), it is not that gorgeously looking that you might expect from a pro with only a few with exemptions (Tiger Woods). But they make up for it with a very strong mentality on how to play the game.

The game of golf is played by hitting a ball with a variety of clubs in a series of holes with as few strokes as possible. It can be played by only one player but in my opinion, playing solo defeats the essence of playing the sport as most of the fun part comes from sharing the experience with others.
Hitting a stationary ball with a club seems like an easy thing to do as this is what you mainly do in golf. But even when you compare it with baseball in which you have to hit a fast moving ball, hitting balls in golf is way harder. You need to be consistent with your swings. And being consistent in golf is not an easy thing to do, even pros find it hard to be consistent. Things like keeping your head steady, have a soft but firm grip on the club, keep your eye on the ball, to not bend you left arm on the back swing is just a fraction of all the things you should remember in your every golf shot. To have that mental toughness to remember all of those things every time I play keeps my heart pumping for more.

 To sum it all up, the thrill and the kind of pressure it gives to yourself or even just the joy and experience all in all as soon as you walk on the first hole is what makes the game of golf so beautiful.

0 (mga) komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento

Pinapagana ng Blogger.